Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bike fitting

Last week I went and got a professional bike fitting for my Motobecane Immortal Force. I've had the bike for a year, and while the setup wasn't bad, there were a few things that I felt could be better. Based on the recommendation from a couple of coworkers, I scheduled an appointment with Annie at Integrated Cycle Fit in Lyons, Colorado. Now that I've had several training sessions, I can say with certainty that I'm pleased with the result.

Integrated Cycle Fit is a small outfit, so you don't get the ultra-fancy computerized video analysis system which you see in some of the larger bike shops. Instead what you get is a couple of hours in a quiet atmosphere with someone who has a ton of knowledge and experience with cycling and biomechanics. Annie is, after all, a physical therapist and former road racer. And since she isn't selling bike components, I would have taken any suggested part replacements seriously. Fortunately, she didn't think I really need to replace anything.

She spent plenty of time examining me both on and off the bike. After talking about my background and goals for the season, we tested the flexibility and strength in my legs, arms, and back. Then we looked at my form on the bike. From there we worked to determine not only how the bike and shoes can be adjusted to fit me better, but how I improve how I use my body on the bike.

So Integrated Cycle Fit has my resounding endorsement. If you don't feel like your current bike setup is optimal, send Annie an email and see what she can do for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment